Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cars are for writing

My favorite place to write is in my car. Not while I'm driving of course. It is a quiet, comfy, different, and no pressure environment for planning a chapter or drafting from notes. I have a sprial bound notebook I carry with me to jot down ideas, make sketches, and do preliminary work. I can lean back in the car seat during my lunch break and work on my book without interuption.

Why do I prefer to sit in a car to write instead of at my desk, hands poised over a computer? It is a lot more relaxing and a more creative environment. The computer is great for writing things down quickly and formatting, but it can be a killer when trying to come up with ideas. There is something about putting pen to paper in a different enviroment that jump starts my brain and encourages more creative thought.

No comments: